Outdoor living spaces have become very popular in the recent years. Homeowners invest time and money to build outdoor kitchens, fireplaces, patios, etc, because they want something more useful than a simple lawn. If you have a large backyard or some open space on your property, you may consider remodeling for an outdoor living room. It will increase the value of your property and really “wow” your guests.
The Best Outdoor Living Room Ideas
These projects require a considerable amount of time, money, and effort so choosing a type of space that’s right for you is key. Here are some outdoor living room ideas to get you started:
1. Patio Outdoor Spaces
Patios are the most popular outdoor installations among homeowners and with good reason. They are versatile and can fit into properties of almost all designs and sizes. Patios don’t require too much space so you can create one in the corner of your small backyard and have a cozy nook to relax in. You and your outdoor architect just needs to add the paving, install some outdoor furniture, perhaps add a fireplace, and you have a beautiful outdoor space to relax in.
Patios are a great investment for people who love to entertain. If you like to throw frequent BBQ parties or invite your friends over for drinks, you’ll use a patio regularly. You can also use this space to spend some time with your family and single relax under the sun. Here are some ways to make your patio comfortable and beautiful:
- Choose the right paving. Natural stone, interlocking concrete pavers, and brick are very popular and will add to the design of your patio.
- Buy resilient and weatherproof patio furniture. The last thing you want is for the furniture and cushions to fade because of exposure to the sun.
- Get weather protection. A sheltered patio is a better investment because you can use it comfortably throughout the year. You can enjoy the outdoor environment without being sunburned.
2. Outdoor Kitchens
Outdoor kitchens have become more popular in the recent years, especially with people who love to cook and entertain. A well-planned outdoor kitchen is an extension of your living room and can serve as an entertainment space for your friends and family; it allows you to communicate with your guests even as you cook. There’s just something liberating and interesting about cooking under the sun and in the open air.
Some people mistakenly assume that outdoor kitchens take up too much space or are very expensive. The size and price-tag depends on the design, materials used, and appliances installed. Here are some options for you to consider:
- If you’re on a limited budget, consider a single or L-shaped counter kitchen. You can build these kitchens in the corner of your patio to ensure they don’t take up much space. You can use prefabricated concrete blocks and affordable countertops to build the structure.
- If you have some room in your budget, consider L-shaped or U-shaped counters with good-quality appliances. You can also install some form of roof or weather protection to ensure your kitchen isn’t damaged by the sun, rain, or debris. U-shape counters allow you more room to cook as you have three different sections: the food prep counter space, the cooking and washing areas.
3. Outdoor Living Area
Who wouldn’t enjoy an outdoor living area surrounded by a beautiful garden? The garden can be your serene, private corner to relax and enjoy a good book in. Gardens also add to the overall beauty of your backyard. While these spaces are a little more difficult to maintain than the outdoor room ideas mentioned above, they are worth the effort. Here are some ideas that can help you create the perfect outdoor garden and living area:
- Choose the right plants – Your landscaper will recommend the best plants for your garden.
- Use a garden fence – A fence will separate your garden from the rest of your backyard and provide a private space for you.
- Choose the right furniture – Your garden living area furniture should be able to withstand outdoor conditions and last for a long time.
Different homeowners have different preferences with reference to their outdoor space. You need to consider the design, budget, the overall architecture of your home, and other such factors before you plan the project.
A landscaping expert, like the ones at Blooming Desert, can help. They will assess your property, discuss your requirements with you, and recommend an outdoor living space design that will fit your needs. It’s always a good idea to consult with a professional because poorly planned and built outdoor living rooms can stand out like a sore thumb and compromise the beauty of your outdoor space and home.